22 Jun 2010

Gen 1 - Chapter 8: Family Life

Author's note, this chapter will be told from Billy's point of view.


I woke to find the sun shining through my window, I could hear my Granddaughter's playing tag outside. It looked like it was going to be a lovely day, maybe I will take them to the beach for a picnic. That way I can get to know them a bit more, I can't believe I missed out on having my family around me for the sake of a job. If I could go back 25 years and undo it all, I would.



I had a quick shower and headed downstairs, and was met by the wonderful smell of waffles. Mmmmm, my favourite, I grabbed a plate and joined the others at the table. We talked for a bit before Claude and Jenna headed off to work. I told the girl's my plans and invited them along. I was pleased they agreed to come.



We made sandwiches and packed plenty of crisps, biscuits, chocolate bars, fresh fruit and a salad for the picnic. We arrived at the beach at 11am, the girls played catch while I got the picnic ready.



When the girl's had finished playing catch, we sat down and ate lunch. We chatted about what their favourite things were, what they liked to do, their friends, how they were getting on at school. I am really enjoying getting to know my Granddaughters. They are two very smart, wonderful young girl's, I am proud to be their Grandfather.


After we had finished lunch I taught them how to fish, with them being girl's I expected them to squeal about handling the worms, but their screams, I have never heard anything like it. In the end I placed their worms on their hooks for them, they were both very happy when they caught their first fish.



It started getting late, so I said we should head home and have some dinner. They wanted to keep their fish so we stopped at the general store and bought two bowls, so they could have them in their rooms. Lyra named hers Flounder and Lily named hers Alice, weird names for fish, I know, but the girls looked happy and fed them as soon as they got home.



We all sat down as a family and ate dinner, Jenna had prepared some delicious sushi. It was odd watching the girl's eating fish after deciding to be responsible for caring for the fish we brought home. I wonder if either of them will grow up to be vegetarians like their Grandmother was. As I thought about their Grandmother I felt a surge of guilt about how much time I had missed with her, I'm sure it showed on my face, but if anybody did notice they didn't say anything.



We were talking about our days when Claude said that they had a surprise for me, and wanted to show me after dinner. I wonder what it could be? When we had finished the girl's cleared the table and had their showers before heading off to bed. They are such good girl's, it's hard to believe they will be teenagers in a few weeks. Maybe I will throw them a surprise party, the first of many, I hope. With the money from my part time job at the bookstore I think I will buy the girl's something really nice to mark the occasion. I can see that they would never want me too, however, I feel it is the least I can do with the time I have missed.



We all sat down in the living room chatting, Claude and Jenna looked very pleased with themselves as they told me they had purchased a small cottage a few blocks away for me. I was in total shock, after all that I put my family through they still love me and want to look after me. I really don't deserve them.



I couldn't thank them enough, it was a beautiful cottage, just big enough for me and it even had a spare room for when the girl's wanted to come and stay. I had to phone and arrange for my belongings to be sent over from France before I could move out.



The delivery company said they had a van available near Champs Le Sim's and collect my belongings in the morning, and would have them delivered later tomorrow afternoon as they could come over on the ferry. The owner of the local store Jean-Pierre was one of my best friends in Champs Le Sim's, I explained that they would be able to collect my keys from him, I also called him and explained my reasons for leaving France forever and told him I would come and visit once I had got settled. I thanked them and hung up the phone, I told Claude and Jenna that I would be ready to leave tomorrow afternoon.


I went to my room and packed what belongings I had here, then had a shower and went to bed so I could have an early start. I had a long day ahead of me.


I awoke at 7am, everyone else was still in bed, so I decided to make them breakfast as a thank-you for letting me stay with them. We ate our breakfast and chatted a bit before everyone said their goodbye's as I left. They said they would be round later to help me unpack, as they had work and the girls had to go to school. I could see Claude had a tear in his eye, I suspected that he was very happy to have me here, but also sad to see me leaving his home so quickly. For him to be able to trust me and want me here this much, meant more than I could ever put into words to tell him, so I just hugged him extra tight.


I arrived at my cottage, it was beautiful. I knew I was going to be happy now that I had my family close. I knew that because I was old that the time I did have wouldn't be forever, but I was going to make the most of it before it was too late. Hopefully I will be able to see my Granddaughters grow into beautiful young women and have their own families.



Stay tuned for chapter 9 of the stone family.

9 comments:

Pip03 said...

It looks good!

strelitzia19 said...

Thank-you :)

Kittycattylion said...

Lyra is smashing!

Anonymous said...

From Seaweedy,
I like the detail about the name of the fish, very funny.

strelitzia19 said...

Thanks :)

I know kitty, she is definitely my favourite :)

Hugzies said...

I cant wait for the girls surprise party :)

strelitzia19 said...

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

A nice chapter full of love! Heartwarming yet leaving room for anticipation... Marvelous job! :D

strelitzia19 said...

Thank-you :D

Welcome To The Stone Family Blog.


I would like to introduce you to my founder, Jenna Stone and her husband Claude Stone.


Jenna's traits are:

Born Saleswoman

Eco-friendly

Bookworm

Family Orientated

Artistic

Her favourite's include:

Pop

Waffles

Aqua

Jenna is an artistic person, and can always be found painting her worries away. She wants a big family, she say's a home filled with laughter is the place to be. When she isn't painting she can be found either out in the garden or at the library reading. Being Eco-friendly she likes to recycle, take quick showers and just generally take care of the planet. She still remembers the first day she met Claude like it was yesterday. He was walking past as she left the library, and her being the bookworm that she is had her head stuck in her favourite book and bumped into him. Claude caught her and as their eyes met they instantly felt the attraction towards one another, and from that day they never left each others side.


Claude's traits are:

Family Orientated

Schmoozer

Charismasitic

Athletic

Ambitious


His favourites include:

Pop

Autumn Salad

Irish Green

Claude is very athletic, most days he can be found working out at the gym or with his family.He is also very charismatic and loves to make friends and meet new people. He is very career orientated and because he is a schmoozer he makes friends with colleagues very quickly. He is very family orientated and would love 4 or 5 children. He has always wanted a large family and never thought it would be possible until he met Jenna. He and Jenna were engaged within 6 months of meeting, they had a whirlwind romance and neither could imagine life without the other.





What will the future hold for the Stone's.